Doggie Date Program
The Doggie Date Program allows the animal lovers in our community to interact with shelter dogs that are awaiting their furr-ever home. Doggie Dates are 2-hour events that let you take one of our deserving shelter dogs outside of their kennel to play with you and your family at your home, a city park, or another location of your choice within a 15-mile radius of the Mont Belvieu Animal Shelter.
Happy Dog. Happy Shelter. Happy You.
Doggie dates offer great benefits for our shelter dogs, our shelter, and you!
- Shelters can be stressful for dogs. Getting out of their kennels and adventuring into new surroundings, exercising, and socializing helps to relieve some of that stress and boosts their morale, meaning they'll be happier and more likely to be adopted.
- When you take your doggie date to public locations, such as City Park, our dogs are introduced to an entire pool of potential adopters!
- Sharing photos of your doggie date on Instagram and Facebook using the hashtags #MBDoggieDate, #AdoptMB, and #DoggieDate help our shelter dogs be seen by a greater audience of potential adopters via the power of social media.
- Doggie Dates help us learn how our shelter dogs react in various environments. Are they good with kids? Do they get along with other pets? Does he/she have good manners? These tidbits of information help us to be able to find the best furr-ever home for our dogs.
- Pets provide great health benefits, but what if you can't own a pet? Spending even a little amount of time with a pet can make a difference in your overall well-being. Doggie Dates encourage our participants to get out and be active, whether you're walking, jogging, or running, it's exercise with a cute dog by your side!
- If you're hoping to adopt a dog from our shelter, a Doggie Date can open doors to ensure that the pet you have your eyes on is the right fit for you. Do you both have a love for adventure? Or maybe you prefer snuggles on the couch?
Just a couple of short steps and you'll be on your way to your first Doggie Date!
- Complete the Doggie Date Application and email it to us at email@example.com
- Once we receive your application and you are approved, we ask that you send us the name of the date you are wanting to take out and your Saturday availability.
- From there, we will schedule you for your first date!
- Plan your date and bring a copy of your plan with you when you pick him/her up.
- Don't forget your camera! Sharing photos of your date on Facebook and Instagram are essential for the Doggie Date Program. Please tag us @MontBelvieuTx on Instagram and use the hashtags: #MBTX #MBDoggieDate #AdoptMB #DoggieDate
- Rate your date by completing the scorecard provided when you bring your date back by curfew.
The Mont Belvieu Animal Shelter will provide you the necessities for your date, including but not limited to; a collar, leash, waste bags (yes, you do have to pick up after your date), a water bowl, and treats.
- The Doggie Date Program is only operational during our Saturday business hours (11 A.M. - 1 P.M.)
- Keep the dog under your supervision at all times.
- Never leave children unattended with a dog (participants must be 18+ years of age)
- If the dog becomes aggressive and/or bites you or another individual, contact us IMMEDIATELY.
- Keep your date on a leash at all times unless inside your home or in your fenced in, confined back yard.
- Do not take your date to any off-leash areas, including dog parks.
- Pick up and drop off your date at the agreed-upon times.
- Treat your date with the utmost respect and only transport them inside the safety of your vehicle. DO NOT PLACE DOGS IN THE OPEN BED OF A PICK-UP TRUCK.
- Report any behavior or medical concerns to the shelter IMMEDIATELY.
- Keep your date safe and happy by providing him/her with adequate rest, shade, shelter, and water.
- ONLY utilize positive reinforcement training.
- Have a cell phone with you at all times that can be used in the event we need to contact you during your date.
- Present the dog in a positive way to potential adopters and members of the public.